Politics
Firstly, Ruth Marcus, an opinion writer for the Washington Post, wrote a great straightforward article on Rick Santorum (former republican nominee) and his views on Title X. According to this article, Santorum was for Title X even though he opposed birth control himself. He says that the public has the right to choose whether or not to use birth control.Then, Santorum shot back again with "I've always opposed Title X". The whole debacle gets stickier and stickier. Regardless, a great point was made at the end of Marcus' article.
She wrote:
The candidates would do well to heed the advice of a fellow Republican: “We need to take sensationalism out of this topic,” he said. “If family planning is anything, it is a public health matter.”The Republican was George H.W. Bush, then a Texas congressman, arguing for the creation of Title X in 1969. But that was four decades — and a different Republican Party — ago.
Whether or not Bush is respected or liked, this is a fantastic quote. This IS a public health matter.
To read the rest of Marcus' article from the Washington Post online, click here.
Religion
I believe the most widely discussed religious stance on birth control is that of the Catholic Church.
I found this on a website full of info with religious scriptures backing up the church's stance.
I highlighted the portion that I felt was most direct. I think it's wonderful if a person wants to practice a non-violent religion that promotes positive ideals (I won't get much into religious beliefs), but I do have a problem with those involved in the church who are having sex regardless and are not being safe about it.
A private college in Colorado is offended by the state requiring them to offer birth control at their campus. I personally don't feel that they should be offended. If they are strong in their faith and the students are not married and do not have sex, then don't use the birth control?
If you are sexually active at this college, then obviously you have an option now. This is a personal choice. I think it's smart to have birth control available for students.
Let's be realistic here!
If you are going to have sex, regardless of religion, be safe about it.
I found this on a website full of info with religious scriptures backing up the church's stance.
WHAT DOES THE CHURCH SAY ABOUT METHODS OF BIRTH CONTROL?
"When there is a question of harmonizing conjugal love with the
responsible transmission of life, the moral aspect of any procedure does
not depend solely on sincere intentions or on an evaluation of motives. It
must be determined by objective standards. These, based on the nature of
the human person and his acts, preserve the full sense of mutual
self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love. Such a goal
cannot be achieved unless the virtue of conjugal chastity is sincerely
practiced. Relying on these principles, sons of the Church may not
undertake methods of regulating procreation which are found blameworthy by
the teaching authority of the Church in its unfolding of the divine law"
(Gaudium et Spes, 51).
I highlighted the portion that I felt was most direct. I think it's wonderful if a person wants to practice a non-violent religion that promotes positive ideals (I won't get much into religious beliefs), but I do have a problem with those involved in the church who are having sex regardless and are not being safe about it.
A private college in Colorado is offended by the state requiring them to offer birth control at their campus. I personally don't feel that they should be offended. If they are strong in their faith and the students are not married and do not have sex, then don't use the birth control?
If you are sexually active at this college, then obviously you have an option now. This is a personal choice. I think it's smart to have birth control available for students.
Let's be realistic here!
If you are going to have sex, regardless of religion, be safe about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Respond to this post here.